NEWS.com.au | Top Stories

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Facebook and Twitter - The long and the short of social media

I advised Lawley that I had no time to comment on online social media as I was too busy with offline social engagements but he wouldn't excuse me from this part of the course - so here goes.

Facebook - Wow! 500 million active users can't be wrong or perhaps have too much time on their hands.  I only joined Facebook to keep track of my gallivanting but poor communicator son (the lady doth protest too much!!) but in so doing keep in touch with many friends that I see irregularly and so still feel part of their world.  Of course I feel sooo inadequate as I don't have as many Friends as Mr Average(130) but have managed to find or been found by friends that I went to primary school with in another continent and eon ago.  I have major concerns regarding privacy and always entreat family not to "bare all" especially dates of birth, etc.  It is a case of user beware and to read privacy statements carefully.

I personally do not use Facebook to keep up with commerce or retail or even libraries but as more companies are joining perhaps I will be persuaded. It certainly would be easy while being on one website keeping up with personal interests to see what is happening in the macro world.  Libraries are using Facebook as another tool to get the message across to a wider audience.

Twitter - A great way to get a short message out although  I am alienated by fake ads masquerading as Tweets and am pleased that there is a move afoot to compel celebs to declare endorsement Tweets.

I wish Twitter had been around centuries ago - imagine Napoleon diarising his assignations with Josephine of 'not tonight' fame or Shakespeare - no not possible the 140 character limit would have precluded him.
Again Twitter works in drawing attention to library services and events provided enough Followers can be attracted.

7 comments:

  1. You're in luck, "Shakespeare" is on twitter
    For starters try:
    @willshake
    @shakespearesays

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone has also summarised Shakespeare's complete works as tweets:
    All the Twittered Shakespeare Synopses

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Mally - I also have great concern about privacy issues (and identity theft) and am too busy offline to be bothered going "online". Back in the 1970's "online" was where I washing was hanging to dry! Oh for the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of Napoleon tweeting. You can just see him on the battlefield!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Facebook to stay in touch with Steves very big family. It is almost impossible to stay in touch with all of them in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love Shakespeare synopsed in Tweets - thanks Lawley

    ReplyDelete